Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Baby on the Way.......

The loving home that my Husband and I have fostered for the last several years is about to welcome a new member. I've waited for this moment for quite some time now. My Hubby is happy but he is no where near as happy as I am. I'm SUPER excited! Allow me to introduce you to my newest baby.......


You may recall that I had a blindstitch on my Christmas List last year and this year. I do a lot of clothing alterations for clients (hems being the most popular alteration) so this machine will get great use and would eliminate a lot of hand sewing. I have blindhemming capabilities on my conventional machine, but the results are sometimes hit or miss. Having an actual blindstitch machine would be so much better for me. I didn't expect to get it anytime soon but ran across a great deal this weekend.

I just so happened to peruse the www.SewTrue.com website and ran across this Reliable Portable Blindstitch in the Overstock/Refurbished section. It's an industrial machine that has the added benefit of being portable. And since it's small, a separate table isn't required and it won't take up too much space. This machine normally retails at $299. A couple of refurbished one's were being sold for $165. After doing some research and calling and finding out about the machine I felt good about purchasing one of them. It comes with a  6 month warranty and will be replaced if I have any problems with it. The sales associate Eugene was very helpful even though I kept calling him to ask questions and get updates.  You better believe I'm going to test it every which way from Sunday to make sure it works good. I'm not nervous about purchasing refurbished items. Heck, you can buy something brand new and it have problems. As long as there's a good warranty I'm happy. Besides 4 out of my 5 machines (2 are top of the line) were either used or refurbished and they've all worked great. In addition to the the $165 low price tag on the blindstitch, it turns out that I also received a 15% discount coupon in my inbox that I was also able to apply to this purchase. I stepped away scoring my blindstitch machine for $140.25, over 50% off. Thank you Jesus! Now if I can only track down a Velvaboard to purchase (I found out June Tailor no longer manufactures them).

So I'm anxiously waiting to receive my Baby who should arrive hopefully by the end of the week. In the meantime I've been prepping myself on how the machine works (watching You Tube videos and reading random blindstitch user manuals). Do you have an actual blindstitch machine? Do you like it? Is it easy to operate?

20 comments:

  1. oooh, how exciting!!!! I've purchased a refurb machine and loved it. They are good as new to me...

    Have fun with your new baby... having a baby shower for it? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news! Now with the new addition to your sewing room, I am sure you are going to enjoy sewing even more then ever. I know the feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great price on that new baby cudos to you! I keep debating on purchasing a used machine. The repairs I have paid for on my two machines has been wasted money. I can understand this for the Singer but the Bernina? Neither will zigzag and there are no buttonholes without zigzag. And of course I hand sew all hems, but I find that kinda satisfying--like I have some talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I'm in the market in a lackadaisical kind of way for a new serger. Maybe I will check out the sewtrue.com site. It sounds like they have great deals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting. Congratulations. An additional plus is that it's already potty trained!

    That other post had so many typos it would be hard to believe that I have several college degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL KMQ! I love the part about the potty training. No worries about the typo's. I always joke with my friends that one day someone's going to come back and confiscate my degree for the writing errors I make! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! This will be a great asset,especially when it comes to those alterations~ finish hems in less time; and it will pay for itelf in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! I freaked out for a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations and it sounds like you got a great deal on this excellent machine! I'm sure your going to have a lot of fun getting to know your new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw Shoot! You tricked me with your title, lol!!! Congratulations on the new addition! I will be watching for updates on your experience with the blindhemmer. So far so good. I want one eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations and cleverly done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I pray you will enjoy and be blessed by many years with your new addition! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kudsos on your new addition. The first time I saw that machine, I mentioned to the sales clerk Wow you sale vintage machines...lol He said why no its a blind hemmer...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought we were getting ready to have a virtual baby shower!!! You're so funny! Nice deal! No, I don't have one and don't know if I need one yet. By the time it arrives, I bet you'll be all ready to get started like you've always owned one! Have fun with you new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful. You will get a lot of use out of this with your clients' hem needs, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. FIESTA, I have a blind hemmer and I L*VE it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have this same blindhemmer and I absolutely LOVE it!!!!I know you will too. It is hands free and easy to operate and thread and it sews very quickly. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I've been following your blog for awhile and love the projects you do. I have the same machine! I used to use it a lot for curtians. I am so curious to hear what you think of it. I have always had a very difficult time finding info about it. I think you will need a very fine needle and the very fine filament thread to use it for germents. I need new needles for it - let me know if you find a good source that sells them in small quantities. With a little practice it is fast and fun to use good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails