Friday, November 12, 2010

A Little Sidetracked / New McCall Patterns

I've  done all of the mental planning and alot of the prep work needed to complete my corduroy jacket (mentioned in my last post). I'm really excited about it. I've  had to make decisions on what type of tailoring I wanted to do. And although I think I may work mainly with fusibles, I may try to throw some traditional tailoring techniques in the mix as well. I mentioned that I was going to take my time on this project and hope it will be done by the end of next week.

However.......it seems that I've gotten sidetracked a little bit. Not to worry, it's only for 2 days, I'll be back to work on my corduroy jacket on Sunday evening. It just so happens that I ran across this Butterick 5546 pattern and just KNEW it would work PERFECTLY with fabric I bought a month or so ago. I'm telling you as soon as I saw that pattern it hit me like a bolt of lightning.
(Here's the snakeskin print fabric I plan to use with the dress on the right. It's a Rayon/Poly/lycra blend from Fabric.com. I'm currently sewing the pattern on the right)


(Here's the upclose pic of the dress (sans the flash). I'm making the one on the right)

The interesting thing is the pattern is so simple (not a complex design at all), but it's completely perfect for snakeskin print fabric which is, in and of itself, quite dramatic. Anywho, I cut it out tonight and have gotten 75% done, all I have to do is sew on the sleeves and the skirt portion and do the finishing touches. It's so easy it could be done in a couple of hours but I'm so meticulously slow! LOL! Let's just hope it turns out as well as it does in my mind. It should be ready by Sunday.

On a side note, I've been doing the James Brown shuffle in celebration of the new McCall patterns I picked up on yesterday. Like you, I've been drooling over pattern 6243, so I'm delighted to have it in my possession. Here are all of the patterns that were to my liking.......
I can't say that I'm feeling that whole "return of the 80's vibe" style that's apparent in the current season's patterns, but some of the patterns are cute. Honestly, I'll have to pass on the big puffy sleeves excessively baggy shirts.

I also picked up this old Vogue pattern that I've been smitten with for some time now. I can't remember what season it's from but I LOVE it!  The top is ridiculously cute. I love the exaggerated sleeves and the bow! It's perfect paired with wide leg capris.It's so feminine and flirty! Spring can't get here fast enough. It will probably be the first thing I make!

Well I've got to hit the bed so I can get up at the crack of dawn for a quick grocery shopping trip. I've got to get my chores done so I can settle back to sewing. Happy sewing to ya.......

15 comments:

  1. Wow, you have some beautiful patterns here! But I'm with you, that Vogue top is totally adorable. But totally. I'll be getting this one too, when it hits our shores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have some really cute patterns there! There's a few I want to run out & buy! I always seem to miss when the new patterns come out! Do you have an alert of some kind sent to when they're out? Or are you psychic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Myra! I failed to mention that I caught the tail end of the Veteran's Day sale at Hancock Fabrics. Patterns were $.99.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why, but looking through sewing patterns is so fun - gets the creative gears going. Your pattern finds are great. I have avoided the fabric stores because of my stash bash, but the whole time a little devil has been whispering on my shoulder, "You know they probably have 99 cent patterns at Jo's."

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right sewistafashionista! I don't know where I'd be without my sewing patterns. But I understand why they have to be avoided to. My pattern stash is a bit huge, but I've recently downsized. I only shop the new season stuff and only get maybe one or 2 patterns. However, this season's patterns were a little more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I adore that DKNY shirt, too. Wouldn't it look cool in linen, as well as the satin?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wrap dress in the snakeskin print sounds adorable. Can't wait to see the finished version!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice pattern choices! I've never even seen that Vogue DKNY one before - it looks gorgeous. I love your snakeskin fabric - it's perfect for a wrap dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have very nice patterns there. Good that you got them at a very inexpensive price. Here everything so freaking expensive.

    Looking forward to your completed work/project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOh I can't wait to see the snakeskin fabric made up , it looks awesome. I also love that Vogue DKNY pattern .Great pattern haul !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see your snakeskin dress, the fabric is great! I don't like the 80s vibe much either. My hips/bottom are far too big for stirrup pants and all that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am up to my ears in patterns but no sewing going on right now. Glad to hear you are accomplishing things though. And I have found the Outlier book you have recommended and reading every night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, it's good for a quick and easy to do between projects more difficult, we must clear the mind. The model of the dress is very tempting ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see I'm not by myself in buying patterns after patterns~ I'm becoming a pattern junkie, lol!BTW, I started to get that DKNY Vogue on Thursday, I love it! Now that I see yours, I may just go back and get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all those patterns! I think I love buying patterns more than the actually sewing lol.....I can't wait to see the snakeskin print dress!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails