Friday, November 19, 2010

I'm Suffering from L.W.W.E!

Lack of Winter Wardrobe Essentials........

I didn't realize that I lacked the winter wardrobe essentials until I finished my last project. It was my lack of styling with the Snakes Skin dress that made me feel that the look was missing something. I would have much had some long black boots to go along with the outfit in addition to a few other accessories. It's amazing how much styling affects your total look. I know this but this situation just drove the point home. My frustration with my last project just show's I need to up my styling game.
 
Well I'm ready to update and outfit my Winter Wardrobe with the essentials. I'm tired of dreading cold weather because I don't have the cute clothes / accessories to make it through the winter. Don't think I've been lazy in outfitting my wardrobe---well maybe just a little bit. The weather here in Savannah is just so confusing. The mostly subtropical climate actually discourages you from facing the realities of cold weather. Heck, it's mid November and we've been having afternoon temperatures in the upper 70F's. With so few months of cold weather, one often doesn't want to compile a huge winter wardrobe. Hopefully you can see my dilemma. Nevertheless, I don't want to have the wardrobe stresses I've been having with the turn of the season and besides I want to up my style game this go around.

 I like to sew and buy unique items that make my my wardrobe pop but I'm NOT big on trends. I'm sure by now that you know I like to sew alot of things that have unique colors and patterns---especially with my knits. So to really round out my winter wardrobe I know that I will need to update my closet with the basic pieces as well as some accesories I'm lacking. I used to have a lot to these items but you know in time you lose things or they wear out. Mind you I have most of my essential items for the Spring and Summer but just not for winter. I ran across this great website of Wardrobe Essentials and I was able to compile a list of the things I plan to purchase and the things I plan to sew.  Some of the items I need are....

Items I Plan to Buy
- Small Brown Belt
- Large Brown & Black Belt
- Skinny Belts (Black & Brown)
- Black shoes (Casual)

- Black Knee High Boots
- Fashionable scarves



Items I need to Sew
- Basic White Shirt- Long sleeve
-LBD
-Black Cardigan
-Trench Coat
-Black Skirt
-Casual Pants (corduroy's, etc)
-Casual long sleeve tops (v-neck, turtle necks)
-Corduroy skirts
-Brown Corduroy jacket (currently in the works!)


So I'm excited that I'll be able to update my Winter Wardrobe and  that I have a different direction to take my sewing in as well. For the next couple of months I'll be tackling these projects. 

So how about you? Are you completely satisfied with your Winter Wardrobe? Do you have the Essentials? Lack the Essentials?

12 comments:

  1. How fun!! Shoe shopping AND sewing!! My two favorite things. I'm with you on the southern winter wardrobe difficulty. I have a hard time investing time and money in something that I get to wear for such a short time. I think that is why I drag my feet when making or planning jackets and coats. But then for the few months it is cold, I freeze. Bit silly of me really...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes so much sense to do what you have done and take stock of what your wardrobe is missing and then make a plan. As you know, I've recently been sewing up a few winter wardrobe basics that I'm feeling good about. Looking at your excellent list has remined me that I really would like to make a white shirt also a trench coat would be nice (but I don't think I'm up to that just yet). Good luck with your plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've got a fantastic plan. And fun times ahead shopping!

    BTW, you're really winning all the giveaways these days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your list looks pretty sensible. You are making me think about my own predicament! Love your inspiration boots. I have to admit I could never manage the heels though, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me think about my own wardrobe, where I live, winter is noticed only two or three months a year, so I was too lazy to prepare large quantities of warm clothes ..... conclusion .... I always suffer those cold months for lack of foresight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. I live in metro ATL, a transplant from NJ and I still haven't really figured out how to negotiate this weather. Its cold in the morning, warm in the afternoon and cold in the evening. It's crazy. Back in NJ when it gets cold there is no question to what you wear, but here? It's crazy. I have for the entire time I have lived here (10 years) tried to remedy my dilemna. Coats and boats don't get enough wear, and I'm often hot when I get dressed which traps sweat near my skin irritating my excema. I've tried layers, but never seems to work out right.

    Arrrghhhh!!!!!

    Thank you for the opportunity to vent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Victoria, you are right on spot. I am lacking so much winter clothing, not ready for winter yet, and we had a big one two days ago here in Calgary, it's brutally cold right now -22deg celcius.... I am making my list already, thanks for posting this

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great idea to take stock of what you need and update accordingly....I may need to follow suit! Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Victoria, this is just too funny! I just typed a post similar this last night and it's sitting in my drafts for completing! I agree with you on updating your wardrobe! Mine needs some serious work, so I'm focusing on needed pieces too! Great list and great post (also, as they say...great minds think alike!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm suffering from the same disorder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right. It is so easy to focus so much on sewing that we forget the accessories that really make a look stand out. I checked out the Wardrobe Essentials and think is is total fun. (BTW the black boots are wonderful - do get them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am absolutely not ready for winter in any way. I don't want the cold weather to come and I don't have enough things to wear. Since I live near Chicago, there is nothing I can do about the weather, but I can do something about my wardrobe. You and I are thinking along the same lines. I must clear out the things I am no longer wearing to see what items I should sew to fill the gaps. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails