Tuesday, September 4, 2012

What...there’s such a thing as Denim Trousers???




Ok, I feel like the slowest person on the planet right now.  Why did I just discover this? Honestly, where have I been? Well first off I rarely go pants shopping since it’s SO discouraging. I’m 5’8 and am mostly legs so If I wear pants I have to buy the Tall’s and frankly they’re VERY hard to find. Express & NY & Co. are my go-to stores but only when I found them on sale. Secondly, when I shop for pants I usually will buy jeans or I’ll by dress pants typically made out of a stretch twill or something similar.
I don’t think I’ve ever run across denim trousers. I never thought (well actually it did but I quickly dismissed it)  to combine such a fabric synonymous with casual wear with a classic pants style such as a trouser. I guess in my mind there’s some universal rule out there stating that trousers must always be made out of traditional trouser fabrics.  

(Jalie 2909)

So you can imagine my surprise when I pulled out Jalie Trouser pattern to see one of the suggested fabrics as a stretch denim. Just to double check this suggestion I Googled white denim trousers and yep, low and behold they’re everywhere. Hey denim is nothing but another type of cotton fabric so why can’t it be used? It all makes since now but definitely wasn’t what I expected. Aren’t new discoveries grand? 

 Lucky for me I just so happen to have some white stretch denim at home. I’d planned to eventually use it to make denim jeans  but will use them to make a cute pair of white pants instead (I wanted white pants instead of jeans anyway). I made Jalie 2909 back in 2010 (can't believe it's been that long ago) & outlined my fitting issues in great detail. Although they turned out well I still wasn’t too happy about the fit. I’ll take another stab at it and think it will be much better since I feel I’ve got a slightly better understanding regarding my fit issues (short waist, high derriere).

Wish me luck. I'm going to try and see if I can squeeze these in this week or asap!

But let me ask you, did any of you guys know there was a such thing as denim trousers???

12 comments:

  1. Oh dear! Where have you been :-)
    Denim trousers are great for my casual Fridays at work when I don't want to look like I'm heading to the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Sharon from Petite and sewing did the same and she loves them http://petiteandsewing.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/im-estatic.html
    I know you'll look great in your version too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, even bought some at WalMart. Loved them (they're all faded out now), got to go look for more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them! I have a dark wash pair that are like regular slacks only a bit more casual. Still very sharp looking though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These will be fab trousers, can't wait to see your finished version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh totally, I love a good pair of denim trousers. Maybe I need the jalle pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can wait to see your new pair of white trousers!
    I believe I have a very similar fit issue as you do when it come to pants. I tried B7447 (Burda Style) and I didn't have to modified the rise. I did add more width to the legs to make them more straight instead of a boot cut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a pair of white ones by Liz Claiborne that I love. The pattern M6610 is a great pattern. I plan to do the color thing this fall. Good luck with your pair!! Can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love denim trousers. I have a dark wash (purchased) pair that I wear regularly and back in the spring I made a white denim copy of them. I hope you love yours, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I owned a purchased pair years ago and wore them out! Mine were purchased at express and were a black denim. Hmmm..think I need another pair! Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What s the difference between trousers and jeans? Genuinely curious as I thought they wre the same. I always wear skirts as a personal preference so I am out of the loop on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Yes, I love them.

    Try Lands End or L.L. Bean on line, where I get mine.

    Lands End hems to order.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails