Friday, February 11, 2011

A Mountain of Muslin


I wanted to thank you all for the wonderful Birthday acknowledgments and well wishes! I'm breathing a sigh of relief because it's Friday and I finally have some sewing free time for the myself. Lately, I've been working on several alterations for clients. I just finished shortening the length of a Ball Gown that my client will be wearing tonight to a Military Ball. It had 4 layers. I had to hem 3 of them and bustle the top layer. I'm just happy the dress now fits her perfectly!!! I still have a few more alterations but I can finally finish up my coat this weekend and begin a couple of new project.

With all of the work I've had to do on my coat and with new projects in queue, I feel like it's time to restock on muslin. It has always been a dream that if I could win a lifetime supply of several things, muslin would definitely be one of them. I just could imagine it. I could see a large dump truck filled to the brim with bolts of muslin back up to my house and dump a huge pile of muslin in my backyard. Wow, that would be wonderful. I would love to just look up and see a "mountain of muslin" and just know that I could make test garments to my little hearts delight! Sigh, that would be nice.

I know some people don't like to fool with muslin for various reasons. And I get it that some people don't like to use it for test garments and others just don't like the added expense. I know other people who use old sheets as muslin. For me it's such a necessity. I never used to use since I mostly used to sew knits which for me don't require much fitting. Woven fabrics are a different deal. Given the fact that I like to sew very fitted garments I need the muslin to help fine tune the fit, especially since I have to make adjustments for my narrow back.  So I do prefer to use it but I can't justify spending a whole lot on. So I'm always looking for a way to purchase muslin at a cheaper price. Well I was delighted to find that Jo-Ann's sells 15 yd bolts of  Sew Essentials 44" muslin for $29.99. Well when I use a 50% off coupon on it that means technically I'm only paying $1/yd.  Plus this usually lasts me forever. I'm certain it's not the best quality muslin but it's a test garment and works fine for me. I've used that muslin in testing my current coat and it worked great!!!

So how do you buy your muslin? Do you have any bargain tips to share?

BTW, Atlanta Thread Supply is having free shipping all weekend on most every item!!! I don't know about you but I really despise shipping charges so I love to take advantage of free shipping even for the smallest of items.

15 comments:

  1. I wish I had a JoAnn's near me. They seem to have better sales than Hancocks. I used true muslin recently for a coat I am working on. I am definitely going to have to get to a JoAnn's and check out their muslin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did the same thing for interfacing! You can buy a whole bolt and use a 50% off coupon....making a $99 purchase only $49 and it lasts me FOREVER! LOL I hate running out of basics....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I barely use muslin, it has to be a really complicated piece for me to pull some out for buy some but I think you are getting a deal at $15 a yd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone gave me countless yards of gingham so that is what I am mostly using for my muslins now. Its great for watching the grainline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a fantastic deal! I buy calco (is that what you call muslin, because in the UK muslin is a very fine, loosely woven fabric used for wrapping up christmas puddings before they are steamed, or holding herbs / spices together in cooking)
    Whatever it is, it's a great price! I have noticed that good quality fabrics are less expensive in America than they are here in the UK - we envy you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Opps, typo - I buy CALICO not calco!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who had a birthday! Happy Birthday, Victoria!
    I used to always by my muslin by the bolt when I could get a 50% off coupon. Not so much anymore. I am likely to make a muslin out of anything I have laying around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I buy it like you do, at Jos with a coupon. I usually buy a 25yd bolt. I also buy really cheap fabric to use for muslins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy, Happy Birthday! I do what you do, buy muslin at JoAnn's with a coupon. Didn't know about the bolt though. Thanks for the info. I also just bought what they consider pattern paper. It's really a light, but durable interfacing. I love it. Easy to cut, mark on, pin through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Victoria!

    I know just what you mean about a mountain of muslin -I'd like to have an infinite supply, too.

    Furthermore, I'd like it to roll off a bolt right onto my cutting table. Image an oversized roll of toilet paper mounted to the wall :)

    I've used drapery lining fabric from Atlanta Thread. The cheapest one is not that expensive and I had a bunch of it. And when I was in Korea, I found some very nice muslin (nice and wide) for very cheap prices, so I stocked up. But it's already gone! I'd like to order more from them. On my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm now a muslin believer. I even stock up on cheap ITY to use as muslin for my knit projects. I purchased a bolt of the cotton muslin years ago and I have yet to use it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i use muslin on certain garments, I am a huge supporter of the whole muslin process especially if the garment has details that mess up the fit of the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are right about needing muslin for the fitted garments. I don't make muslins for every garment, but there are some that I don't take chances on cutting the fashion fabric before making a mock garment. Especially for clients.

    Having a bolt of muslins is a good idea. I usually purchase it as needed. It would be nice to have it on hand.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  14. ¿quĂ© es la muselina? haces tus vestidos primero en una tela barata? espero que puedas traducirme. un beso

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello.

    Being skandinavian, I ususally go to Ikea and pick up a bolt of their cheapest fabric. At Ikea, you pay by weight, not by yard. That makes it very easy to buy a bolt at a time.

    I don't know if you have similar possibilities since it's on another continent - but here in Denmark, that's a very common way to stock up on muslin :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails