Sunday, July 24, 2011

Style Flash Back: Valentine's Day Dress 1998


I was snuggling with "the Wee-One" in bed on yesterday morning when she pointed to a picture on my dresser. The funny thing was that she asked me why I was wearing one of Grandma's wigs, since Grandma has a similar hairstlye. After I giggled, I went on to explain to her that I had a shorter hair cut years ago and that the picture was taken on Valentine's Day.

It's funny, just that short description took me back in time 13 years ago to my first Valentine's Day with my hubby, back then boyfriend. Wow, I was SO much younger and still was just a Freshman in college. If I recall correctly Sears was hosting a photo special where they'd do your make up and take your picture all for a special price. And you know me---I LOVE specials!!!!  I'd just had all of my hair hacked off and golden highlights added. For the life of me, I can't remember where I bought the dress. I think it may have been Sears but can't really remember. All I know is at that time it was my FAVORITE and it would only be fitting for me to wear it to the photo shoot. So I wore it and the picture my daughter was asking me about was the result.

It's sad that this dress has been tucked into a mesh bag and sitting at the bottom of my fabric closet for years. But I really did love this dress. It was sexy, understated, and unique. Obviously I still have it and couldn't bring myself to let it go. So I pulled it out to examine it since it's been so long. It's such a pretty work of art. It's a fitted dress with spaghetti straps, a black mesh overlay placed over a polyester printed knit fabric with Victorian like images of women on it.
(front view of the dress)

(front view with mesh overlay pulled up. Isn't the fabric just divine?!!!)

It's amazing to reflect back on your fashions. Although mine might not have been as refined or focused as now alot of my choices then were a signature to the style that I still subscribe to. I enjoyed this flash back.  It just reminds me of how I appreciate unique and artistic things. Which is why I love sewing because it gives me the chance to be the artist (wink)!

How about you, do you have a special garment that defines your style? What makes it so special?

9 comments:

  1. WOW Victoria, that's a really nice dress for 13 years ago! I'd love to have something like that right now (that is, if I could fit into something like that!) You're so right about the pattern of the fabric, I've never seen anything like that. I understand why you don't let go of it, I wouldn't either!

    The sundress I just made recently definitely defines my style...it's comfortable, cute and fun! By the way, thanks for your nice comments on my blog today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really cute dress! If it still fits, wear it to a special date. If not, maybe let your daughter play in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful dress and I say go wear it now. I bet you will look as great in it today as you did back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are still as impressive as before, the dress is truly exquisite and strange at the same time, I love finding little treasures forgotten in a corner of the closet is like a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you still have it after 13 years! It is a lovely dress. Kids when they are small can say some funny things! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh look what a pretty freshman you were. It is GREAT that you went for it, and got the photo deal. You will always have that gorgeous photo as a memento of that time. Of course, you still look just as gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are just as goregous than, as you are now! And kids say the darnest things lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm....a style that defines me. I am going to have to give that some thought. There have been so many styles that I have lived through.

    Thanks for the post. It is always fun to look back through the past.

    !!

    ~Living Dailies Sewing Publisher: Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photo of you. And a nice little trip back down memory lane. I do have a few garments in my closets. A few of them were gifts from my father. I just can't seem to part with them. This may be a surprise, my dad knew my taste in clothes. And I simply love the pieces still in my closets.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails