Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I think I may have found my Semi-Formal dress!!!

Ok, I don't want to jump the gun just yet but I think I may have found my Semi-Formal dress. I mentioned just yesterday that I was invited to a swanky affair in December and was trying to locate just the right pattern  so I could make my dress. Well I just so happen to see that Vogue had it's new Winter patterns (btw, the Winter line is awesome) and I INSTANTLY fell in love with V8850.
It's funny because although I have a few vintage patterns I don't really find occasions to wear them so many have gone un-sewn. But there is something so dramatic, bold yet highly feminine about this dress. I love the neckline and the drape that extends from it beyond the hem. There's just the right amount of drama in this dress. I'm in LOVE. I'm thinking that this could work well as my semi-formal dress. I would likely make it in a darker color and haven't decided whether to use a shiny or matte fabric just yet. More than likely I'll make it in a matte just to tone it down a bit. BTW, it requires approx 4 yds of fabric. Isn't that insane!!! But it's worth it! LOL!  I'd also make the long sleeve version and I could see myself with my hair slicked back in a pony tail or bun and wearing really bold, bejeweled earring to compliment the fabric I'm making it in. I'd wear a killer pair of pumps and carry a small clutch. I'm getting so excited just thinking about it. I think I could make some magic with this dress!

So what do you think? Think this would make a good semi-formal dress for me to wear for my holiday party???

14 comments:

  1. Yes! It is beautiful, classy, and no one else will be wearing something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Very classy. So happy to see sleeves in evening wear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. super glamour, you would look fantastic. and you have made some great formals already. quite your specialty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Hey Karin! If I had my way I'd love to have it in a deep forest green. I always seem to do a black or blue dress. I'd love to get away from that some.

      Delete
  5. I love that asymmetric drop of fabric.... an elegant amount of drama... I must say I like the green colour too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, its a really nice pattern. I have been so disappointed in Vogue patterns for about two years now that it is nice to know they might be re-aquiring their fashion muscle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why. It has a lovely glam and retro 40s feel to it with the details. Looks like something a glamorous screen star back then would have worn. LOVE IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you will turn all kinds of head at this affair. Can't wait to see it once its done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be especially sophisticated in matte wool crepe. Modifying the skirt by either making it more tapered or more flared would increase the overall drama. Just one opinion.
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Ginny, you've got some nice suggestions! I'll definitely consider them:)

      Delete
  10. Go for this it is fantastic and a great colour in the image - Sally

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely, positively and completely. I LOVE this dress! Vintage or vintage/inspired patterns always have something about them that puts them above the rest. If you do decide to go ahead... then I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails