Monday, December 7, 2009

Countdown to begin the 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge.. ......



The Challenge begins 01/01/2010 at 12:00am

I'm currently compiling the guidelines for this Challenge as well as the details of my Sewing goals for the upcoming year. I will have it all planned out within the next week or two and will post it. This is what I have so far:

* I'll credit myself 3000 hours although I've sewn for much more.
* My aim is to devote 1000 hours in 2010 to sewing or doing sewing related activities. This amounts to 83 hours a month or ~3 hours a day.
* I have to sew something every week minimum (2 weeks max for more complicated projects)
* I need to sew wardrobe essentials (Basic Black pieces): Slacks, LBD, Tailored Jacket,& Black pencil skirt. (Am I missing anything?)
* I have to keep track of all the time I spend sewing and reading, studying, or watching sewing related material and post it.
* Try draping a simple piece.
* Try drafting a simple piece.
* Sew some jeans-- Jalie 2908
* Start sewing my Spring Wardrobe in March.
* Start sewing my Fall/Winter wardrobe in September (Hey, I live in Savannah, Ga we barely have a Winter :) )

Although I'm still ironing out the details I'm extremely excited about this challenge! It may seem like a lot but believe it or not this helps me become more disciplined which is my biggest goal. I'm Left-Brained so Structure is my friend!!!. Plus these are just that, goals and you have to start from somewhere. As the old saying goes "If you Aim at Nothing you usually Hit it Every Time". I think you get my drift. And of course with you guys joining me,it makes this SO MUCH MORE exciting!!!

What are your thoughts so far? Do you have any ideas of some things I could put on my list to get accomplished? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

10 comments:

  1. I don't have any suggestions but I, like you, am going to come up with a better plan than I currently have. One of the first things on my list is are black wardrobe basic. I think I'll also start charting how much time I spend on sewing and sewing related things. I'm well over 10,000 hours because I've been sewing most of my own clothes for the last 40+ years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. I love the dedication, and only wish I could committ like you are able to. However, on Jan 1st I will have an almost 14 month old that seems to take 26 hours of my day. I always feel I have negative hours left for me. I mainly sew for her and my niece. The only true goal I have for 2010, is to sew something for myself. Err or a couple of things for myself. I have the patterns just never have sewn anything for myself. (Now that I reflect on it, it's really a shame). I'm excited about what you are wanting to accomplish...I'm here to support you all the way. Love your blog, and your sewing in beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knitmachinequeen- it's cool we're on the same page (smile). I don't know what happened to my all-black wardrobe. I think I just grew out of everything and the styles got dated. I can't wait to see the styles you pick! Yeah--I've elected to chart my time because I'm not the fastest sewer. I'm sew cautious and methodical that it actually slows me down. Gotta learn to commit some steps to memory so I can get moving. Lady, I only wish I'd been sewing as long as you. I'll get there some day.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, I am sooooo feeling you, you have no idea! My little one turned 2 in August and she occupied alot of my time when she was alot younger. It really is hard to carve out the time sometimes. But it's amazing what you can get done even 30 minutes to an hour at a time--which sometimes is all you have. I'm delighted that you will be able to devote some time to sewing. Keep me posted on your achievements. I'd like to return the support you're so graciously giving me! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GIRL! Your list is impressive! All I want to do in 2010 is start a blog and try to sew one outfit a week( this year it was suppose to be an article of clothing a week, but I did reach that goal). Good luck in your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ....correction....I did not reach my goal this year......

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful idea. I would like to try this with you. Where did you read about the 10,000 hours? I think that this is a great goal to set for sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sewingmama,
    If you go back a few posts you can read about the book that sparked the whole idea. It's cool that you find it both interesting and inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I would like to join in on this challenge (if you don't mind) it sounds perfect for me and my goal to be a master seamstress and patternmaker. Although you have a lot more experience than me, I still wanna try. I'll post about it on my blog in the coming days and give credit where credit is due of course. Thanks a lot and love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Happy, it's cool that you're inspired by the challenge idea. I wish you the best in meeting your goals. I'll be checking you out! Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails