Sunday, December 13, 2009

McCall 5772

Last week, in Savannah, the temperature hit a low of 30 degrees F. I know for some of you that isn't a big deal and may be considered a "warmer" winter day. But for us "Savannahians" (no this isn't a real word--I just made it up(smile)) this is considered COLD. So I had to make sure the little one was bundled up. So I whipped up this quick hat. Especially since I needed it to match the hoodie I made for her.

Pattern Description:

CHILDRENS’, BOYS’ AND GIRLS’ HATS, SCARVES AND MITTENS

Pattern Sizing:
I used the the small since my daughter is 2 and her head circumference was bout 19".

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Absolutely!!!! Please note that the cap bulges a little due to my daughter's pontails underneath (wink)!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Super, super simple!!!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked that the pattern was as easy as pattern could get.

Fabric Used:
White fleece with multicolor hearts on it.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I changed the pompon from yarn to fleece fabric. When I tried the pompom in yarn it looked to disjointed and the texture of the fabric and fleece didn't mesh. So I decided to make the pompon out of fleece instead. To do so I laid out a double layer of 4" X 8" fleece. I pulled out my rotary cutter and mat and began cutting 5/8" wide strips. I believe I did this twice and ended up with approx 30-35 5/8" wide and 4" long strips. Since fleece is so fluffy and thick you shouldn't need more than this to achieve a full-looking pompon. I stacked these on top of each other and used a piece of thread to wrap under the stack and tie it tightly into a bundle (similar to the pattern's pompon instructions). Once tied in a bundle I fluffed the pom pom a bit and sewed on the top of the hat. I ommitted the pompon's from the tie straps.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I definitely will sew it again. This will one of my daughter's winter hats for years to come. I would recommend you sew it a size or two larger if your daughter wears her hair in ponytails or has really thick hair.

Conclusion:
I needed a hat to match a fleece hoodie (McCall 5508) I made for my daughter (Note: This is the hoodie featured in the picture). These two patterns worked great in conjunction with each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails