Sunday, December 13, 2009

Butterick 5318


Pattern Description:

MISSES' DRESS: Slightly flared, above mid-knee dresses A, B have fitted, mock wrapped, self-lined bodice with tucks and band, raised waistline, front pleats, short or below elbow length sleeves with pleats and elastic casings, elastic shoulder stay and back zipper closure.
Pattern Sizing:
I used the size 12
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes--exactly!!!
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Pretty much so. The pleating was a little more time consuming than I expected. One definitely should take the time to carefully mark out all of the pleats. I marked all of mine in a purple disappearing ink since my fabric color was so light and I wanted to ensure that after the garment was finished no marks would be visible--especially since I was making so many. The only problem with that is the ink disappears in 24 hours. I spent so much time on Pleating/sewing the sleeves that I couldn't fit pleating the bodice in the same day so I ended up having to re-mark the next day. Aside from the pleating, everything else moved along pretty swift.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I absolutely loved the pleats in the pattern and how they were used in the sleeves, and waistline area. This is such a feminine design.
Fabric Used:
A tan polyester knit with white leaves, arcs, and other shapes on it.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn't need to make any alterations suprisingly. I usually have to make a 12 for my bodice and a 14 for the waist and below. I didn't need to this time. I love knits because they're always forgiving and accomodating. I did opt to wear a camisole underneath since the neckline was a little low for my taste. But that was an easy fix:)
 Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I think I would love to sew it again but this time in a solid and probably rich burgundy colored knit fabrid.
Conclusion:
Overall this is a great pattern. Don't expect to get through it in a few short hours, no unless you're super fast at pleating. But the results are simply gorgeous!!!

3 comments:

  1. Saw your review on PR. Really great job! I have this in my stash, but have put it off due to the time consuming pleats. May be worth doing still - especially now that I've seen yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria,
    I also found your blog through PR for this pattern. I love your version, and your blog is awesome-- informative and fun! I'll be following the rest of your 10,000 hour challenge this year. Good luck, and thanks for the helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your Pattern Review and further details on your blog. I would really like to give this pattern a try and was hoping to start it today. I hope that the pattern will be flattering on a plus size figure. I will be back to see more of your reviews as I really like your "style"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails