Tuesday, July 27, 2010

New Sewing Book & DVD

Thanks for all of your suggestions for a clothing label production company in my last post. I can't wait to go through the list and make comparisons. If you've still go more info please feel free to pass it on. Speaking of passing on info......here's a few sewing resources I just purchased. And BTW, I'm not receiving any kickbacks for listing these two products. I only wish I were that special! LOL!

It's been a while since I've made a sewing book or DVD purchase. My library is pretty well stocked and for the most part I have most all the books I need. But I ran across two resources which I felt I couldn't pass up. A couple of days ago I purchased this book from Amazon.com.
I first noticed this book when Carolyn offered it on her blog as a giveaway item. Ironically after I entered her drawing I checked my inbox and noticed that Amazon.com sent me an email about this book. Hearing about this book on two separate occasions within minutes of each other was quite the coincidence. I took it as a sign from God!!! LOL! Ok, that may be a bit of a stretch, but the coincidence definitely peeked my interest. There weren't any reviews on the Amazon.com website but I have a gut feeling that the book's a good one. And fo $10, I couldn't pass it up.  I love learning about sewing and the more I learn, the better I sew. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. It should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I'll definitely give you a full review afterwards.

I also purchased this DVD today.
I have a great deal of sheer fabrics in my stash and have been itching to sew them up into some beautiful numbers. FYI: You can pretty much convert any pattern requiring a woven fabric with that of a sheer fabric and appropriate lining.

Ok, I have to admit this was more of a fun purchase instead of a necessity. I have more than enough books that cover sewing with sheers, and I've sewed with sheers on a number of occasions in the past, but I'm curious to hear what Peggy Sagers, creator or Sihouette patterns has to say on the subject. It just so happens that I own most of her videos (all but 2) and since they're pretty helpful, I wanted to add this one to my collection.  Plus I'd rather watch the her handling the sheers and see her demonstrate how she cuts, sews, and finishes her sheers. I can compare it to what I know and expand my own knowledge. BTW: I met Peggy at The Original Sewing and Quilting Expo in Atlanta several years back. She was doing a workshop on pants fitting and called me and several other women out of the audience to critique the pants I was wearing and how they fit. Talk about up close and personal. But she was a real sweetheart!  Ok, I digress. I was going to wait later to get the DVD, but picked it up today since it's the last day to catch the pre-sale offer which saved me $10. I can't until I get my hands on this as well. I'll give you the 411 on it then.

As a side note, I'm also keeping an eye on the following DVD:

It's by Clair Shaeffer, the woman who brought us this book which I also have in my library.
I like the book ( I need to look at it again because it's been a while) but I'm not absolutely sure I'll purchase the DVD since alot of the information may already be in the book and I have a few other books on couture sewing. I am interested in couture sewing techniques though! I've been eyeballing this book for quite some time....

...but this puppy is about $75. I'll have to try and track it down on Ebay or other sites. So I'll just hold out on both of them until I can get them on sale.I never pay full price for books. I love books and If I did, I'd be broke. I always manage to get them 40-50% off when I buy them used (ebay, amazon, half.com, etc). I'm in no rush. I'll just wait and see.

How about you, have you bought any new sewing books or DVD's lately????? If so, please share!!!

10 comments:

  1. I was just looking at the Couture Sewing Techniques book today, but didn't go ahead and purchase. It looks amazing though! I'm looking to build my library as well, let us know how the Sewing Answer book is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently bought "Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and Wear" by Kay Whitt. She was at our local quilt shop (Fort Worth) doing a book signing. Oh my! She was one of the sweetest ladies I've ever met!
    Your skills are so amazing, you probably wouldn't need this book (good for advanced beginners)- but her mix/match of fabric is so inspiring!

    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paige for mentioning Kay Whitt's book. I checked out her blog and agree that she pairs up some pretty great fabrics. I will definitely have to check out her book at the bookstore!!! BTW, it's cool you got to meet her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should really consider carefully before byuing the Nudelman book, I bought it and considered waisting almost 80 euros, for what? I still haven't found more than handful of real couture sewing techniques in this book, which is not the case with the Schaeffer book, which is a well of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I purchased some pdf books--very vintage stuff. Millinary, aprons, and bread baking. I looking into getting them printed and bound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marita, thanks for the warning about the Nudelman book. I almost purchased several couture sewing books this past week but decided Claire Shaeffer's book was enough to keep me out of trouble for awhile. I've been enjoying her book, reading little by little, since Christmas. I did pre-order Claire Shaeffer's DVDs though. Even if it covers the same things, I will consider it a good purchase because I'm a visual learner so DVDs help alot. I also purchased a fitting book, Fitting and Pattern Alteration: A Multi-Method Approach to the Art of Style Selection, Fitting, and Alteration (2nd Ed) by Leichty, Poterburg-Steineckert, and Rasband. Susan Khalje recommended it and I'm hoping it will help with fitting by measurements (I'm lousy at that). I did find a great used copy of Susan's OOP Linen & Cotton book. There were some great pics and illustrations of techniques I learned in her class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marita I agree with Julie, thanks for the heads up. I've never seen the book in person and wouldn't consider getting it until I could check it out. But I'll take your word if you don't think it's big on content.

    Julie, it's great you're getting the DVD. Let me know what you think of it! I too am a visual learner and know it could be of some help to me. BTW, I have the first ed. of Multi-Method fitting book and love it! I'm curious to know how it differs from the first ed. I'll have to check that one out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought the Nudleman book and I don't think it adds much to the other sewing/couture books that I own...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are AWESOME!!! I'll be watching and waiting for more...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I am late on this post but Yes!! I have gotten several sewing books that I am posting reviews for on my blog and I'm really liking Fitting and pattern alteration by Elizabeth G.Liechty. I think the idea of sewing dvd's is cool and I will have to look at the varying selections.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails