Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I Jumped on the Retro Patterns Bandwagon!!!!

Ok I feel a little bit late in doing so, but I finally went and bought some Retro patterns. Although I'm not the biggest fan of retro garments, those beautiful dresses worn in yester-years, I've always admired the clothing of those periods and the femininity they embodied.

I never really thought of buying retro patterns because, as silly as it sounds, I didn't think they would look all that good on me. Now I know you're laughing about now, but trust me I'm being serious. Just follow me on this. Is it just me or do most of these patterns look like they're made for women with the tiniest waistlines? I mean, almost every pattern by design cinches in at the waist to show off a coke-bottle figure, which was a big commodity during that time period.  I have a decent figure, but one thing I don't have is a ultra small waistline. And on top of that my waistline is almost nonexistent since I'm short-waisted. The most figure flattering clothing for people like me are clothes that don't focus or define the waistline. One's where you raise, lower, or get rid of the waistline altogether. So believe it or not, "the tiny waistline requirement" has been the deterring factor for me buying Retro patterns all these years. And just recently I've realized I've had the wrong impression of these patterns.

 More and more I'm  noticing  that these types of patterns look good on a range of figures, provided you alter and fit them well. So you don't have to have the "smallest" waistline to look good in a retro pattern.  I know isn't the case for all of them (some you really do need a tiny waist to pull off), but I feel pretty safe with the 3 I picked. I'm glad that I jumped on the "Retro Patterns Bandwagon". Yayyyyyy!  Now if only the PERFECT occasion arose that would warrant me making such a dress. I'm already thinking fabric possibilities. A girl can dream, can't she????? LOL!!!

18 comments:

  1. Those patterns are cute! I could those fitting your style, so I think you picked well for sure! I have one retro pattern, and I love the look of it, but I just can't decide on a fabric that will fit it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the tiny waist in the pictures - that's what deters me, too... But you see people of all different shapes and sizes making these patterns look great, and I think those dresses will look really pretty on you! I can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a lot of people end up disappointed when they don't end up looking like these pictures. I find that often when I alter a retro pattern it loses the thing that attracted me to it in the first place and it ends up looking like something modern instead of the stylish retro dress I thought I was getting. I agree about the waistline. I keep in shape, but I will never have the tiny waist that these women appear to have had! I think you will look great in all of the ones you've chosen and I look forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Retro patterns too. But oh yeah that fit the waist and not show the tummy is my problem. (Ok, 10-15 pounds is the real problem :)) I did buy a gorgeous retro robe pattern I want to try. Tons of fabric required, wrap around with lots of fullness--just waiting for the right fabric. But you go first ok?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really do think that the three patterns that you have picked will look great on you. Like you I am short-waisted (as well as being, well, just short!!) but I think that if these kind of dresses are fitted properly they can be flattering to any kind of figure. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then, just like now, folks didn't have the tiniest of waistlines. those aren't pictures of people, they are drawings. And I'm sure there were some dellusional women who thought with the right pattern, their waist would look that small! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great patterns! They remind me of (L to R): Audrey Hepburn, Dina Merril, and Grace Kelly. Those all have classic lines and are definitely timeless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great patterns! Can't wait to see how they turn out. I also just jumped on the retro bandwagon and bought a few retro patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the retro patterns as well, but fit is key here. I bought B4919 and made a muslin of just the bodice, and hated it. Way too much fabric in the halter part. Anyway, my point is that I'm short and thick waisted as well, and making at least the bodice in a muslin may save sewing heartache. Plus, these patterns cry out for expensive fabric, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have similar taste. I own all three.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have also avoided retro-patterns, I am short-waisted, have narrow hips and only 5'3". Recently I've jumped on the sheath dress bandwagon, feeling that it gives the illusion of some waisting-shaping with the front & back darts doing all the work and also think it elongates my torso a lil... or is my mirror distorted...lol

    I will definitely stay tuned for one of your retro dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't forget that back then, everyone wore corsets and girdles and women used to faint all the time!
    :)Deb M.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank for the great comments Ladies!!!

    Elle, you couldn't be more correct. There's no way I would make this dress w/o a muslin. Looking at it I already know I'll have to adjust it to my liking. And in doing so I hope I can maintain the integrity of the pattern.

    Sheila, I see you've learned the sheath dress trick too! LOL!!!! I'm 5'9" but they work great to even out my short torso and long legs. I feel less like a giraffe. I also love, love, love princess seam dresses. They elongate my waist and accentuate the little curves I do have (wink)!

    Debra---LOL!!!! I don't think I could have handled the fainting spells!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute patterns. I have the Butterick one in the middle. Some day I am going to make that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Retro patterns are fun. It took me a while too, but they do look nice. And you have a gorgeous figure, evidenced by the swimsuit you just made!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think all 3 of those will look fabulous on you. I have the Butterick pattern on the far left. Just waiting for the most awesome fabric (and an occasion) to make that one up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Depending on the fabric you pick, the dresses don't need a super-special occasion to be worn! If you picked something light and summery, the halter dress could go anywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where is all this negativity coming from the beautiful woman who just donned a swimsuit online!!!! The dresses you selected I believe will be just goregous on you! With your tailoring skills and eye for fabric, you just can't do anything but succeed with a great retro garment! Now enough of that and let's get to work...I'm excited to see the results!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails