Tuesday, August 26, 2014

NewLook 6173---The "5 Hour" One-Shoulder Gown

As mentioned in my last post I needed to make a gown to wear to the Ms Blueprint Pageant held on this past Saturdday! I had just finished a dress for one of the participants to wear to the pageant (pictures coming soon) and with a hectic week of other client sewing projects I had very little time to make me something. I picked the pattern long before the fabric. I kept hitting and missing. I wanted a formal knit which meant I could have the fit and comfort I was looking for. Late Friday on a random stop to Wal-Mart I found a gorgeous, sheer, deep burgundy knit with black a gold flower/pattern print for only $1.50yd. My prayers were answered! I bought 5 yards and headed home. In my stash I found a black mid-weight polyester link to use as the lining/underlining.The next morning I got to work and this baby sewed up in about 5 hours. Pretty easy to do since it's only 4 pattern pieces! I wore it with minimal jewelry---just a gold necklace and strappy gold/bronze heels!  I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it!!!



NewLook 6173

Time to Sew:
5 hours

Sewing Ease (scale 1 easy to 10 difficult):
about a 3

Pattern Description:
One-shoulder dress
(Front View. Forgive the tan lines. I've been rocking alot of Peplum tops & tank tops this Summer. I forgot us black girls get them LOL! )

Pattern Sizing:
I cut the 12 for the bust and graded to the 14 for the hips. I did some further nips/tucks to get the fit just right.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
YES!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
YES!
 (Closer view)



What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Loved the style!!!

Fabric Used:
 Sheer, deep burgundy knit with black a gold flower/pattern print
(Pic of fabric is a bit photobleached (fabric is obviously darker) but you can see the leaves & flowers etched in gold)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I did my usual short-waisted back alteration 
I took in the an inch or so at the bust side seam to prevent gaping

What would you do differently next time?:
Nothing

(Back View)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
YES!

Conclusion:
Gorgeous dress! Fancy but definitely wearable for a less fancy occasions!




12 comments:

  1. Five hours and less than $10 to look this gorgeous, priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five hours. You are a sewing legend and you look great as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, glad I'm not the only one who shops Walmart for fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful dress! You look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful! Your prayers were answered, indeed, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great make for $1.50/yd! Very pretty as well.

    I had to chuckle at your "tan lines" comment. I've been biking a lot this summer and my arms and legs are two *very* different shades of brown. My biceps are slightly darker than my legs. But my forearms and legs look like they belong to two different people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress! You look wonderful in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got talent!! Love the dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress is lovely! I'm so glad, I was able to meet you in person while I was in Savannah. Mary & I are both looking forward to returning for more classes with Gentleman Jim.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails