Sunday, April 20, 2014

Mother/Daughter Easter Outfits---NewLook 6196 & Simplicity 1433

Happy Easter/Resurrectionn Day to everyone!!!! Hope you are enjoying your day! Well I've had a wonderful one thus far. Had an awesome time at church (as usual) and am enjoying celebrating a day that is the pinnacle and foundation of my faith! If you're no stranger to my blog you know I always celebrate a special event with a special outfit. For this day I made my daughter and I something to wear. I made myself a top and my daughter a dress. I'd planned on making my Hubby a tie but ran out of time. In the end it worked out for the best since I ended up not using the purple fabric I originally planned to make his tie and my daughter's sash out of. Well I had a very work intensive week and managed to get 2 client outfits out the door which left me little time to make our outfits---and no time to polish my tootsies which meant no cute strappy sandals:( But I made it by the deadline and was proud of the results. I got plenty of compliments which are always nice. Anyhow here's my reviews.....

 Posing together---NL 6196 Top for me and S1433 Dress for my daughter






NEWLOOK 6196
Time to Sew:
Without distractions about 4-5 hours. It took me longer.

Sewing Ease (scale 1 easy to 10 difficult):
A 4. Not hard at all.

Pattern Description:
Cute top with midriff and gathered peplum 

Pattern Sizing:
I cut the size 10. I normally will cut one size for the bust and grade up another for my waist. Should've done that here but since my fabric had some stretch I'd go with one size. Almost a mistake. Fortunately was able to let out sideseams near my waist to give me some extra space.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Loved EVERYTHING!

Fabric Used:
Cute stretch sateen (I think) in multicolor floral print. I picked up this fabric at Fine Fabrics while at the Original Sewing and Quilting Expo. I think I paid $4.95/yd. My top took less than 1.5yds which made it a very inexpensive top to make:)


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I took out my usual 2" in the center back due to being shortwaisted in the back. I added 1" length to the peplum too, I hate when they are too short. I'm long legged so that's the last thing I need is a short top to accentuate my short waisted-ness. I also ditched the armhole binding and just serged it, folded under and topstitched down.

What would you do differently next time?:
Nothing!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Likely yes, it's a really cute top!

Wardrobe Versatility:
You can pair it with nearly anything that matches:)


Conclusion:
Gorgeous top!




Time to Sew:
About 3 hours; less when not distracted!

Sewing Ease (scale 1 easy to 10 difficult):
3
Pattern Description:
Girl's dress with overlap bodice and gathered skirt

Pattern Sizing:
I cut the size 7 for her
 Blowing kisses.....

and doing the "John Cena"---you WWE wrestling fans will understand;)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
YES!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
YES!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Loved everything!
 Without bolero, front

 Without bolero, back view

....and twirling!!!
Fabric Used:
Same as mentioned above....

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I nixed the skirt lining and tulle regretting that I did. When the skirt didn't have enough flare I tried using horsehair braid (my first time) and it worked like a charm. I only had the 1" width but it did the job:) I also ditched the belt and instead used a chartreuse green satin ribbon that I sewed black trim on.

What would you do differently next time?:
Nothing

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Probably, it's a cute Summer dress.

Conclusion:
Cute girl's dress!

Well after a week of sewing nonstop I'll take a break today to hang out with the fam! Again I hope you're enjoying your Easter/Resurrection. And I hope you know the ONE who knows you better than anyone, LOVES YOU with the deepest love and who adds immeasurable meaning to life!

13 comments:

  1. You did a beautiful job with that fabric! Your top is perfect, and so is your daughter's dress!! Happy Resurrection Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two look fantastic. The print is beautiful and worked superb for your top and your daughter's dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So absolutely adorable. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just Darling! The floral print perfect for Easter too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two are too cute!! I hope you had a wonderful Easter. My new objective with sewing is not just to make something to have something but to learn how to manipulate what I'm sewing to reflect my body shape. I'm also short waisted. I noticed that you said you shortened your cb on your peplum. Why wouldn't you adjust the front too? Sorry I'm long winded. Thanks for any help you can provide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable. I love your mother/daughter outfits. You're little lady is growing so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fabric reminds me how excited I am that Spring has finally arrived! The matching outfits will be so much fun to look back at in the future. I love the ribbon accent -- it really compliments the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the peplum top and Capri pants combo. Something to put on my wish list. Nice matching outfits too.
    http://daisycreatesinsussex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. You both look absolutely gorgeous! I especially love the peplum, I have a total obsession with them at the moment! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You both look amazing, great Easter outfits!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am having a very hard time figuring out the directions on the little dress. It was going well, and then I got to #19 and I cannot figure out what the directions are saying. I would appreciate any help/advice you can give. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails