Monday, October 10, 2011

Simplicity 2850---The Little Blue Dress

It's funny that I still haven't got around to making a LBD (Little Black dress) but I couldn't resist the urge to whip up this number on Saturday.  I wanted a dress that I could wear now and would carry into the fall when paired with tights, boots, and a scarf. I think this dress is perfect.So here's my review......

(Front view: Due to hectic day pictures were taken at night. Excuse the poor lighting)

Simplicity 2850

Pattern Description:
Knit Mini Dress. I made view A and added the belt.

Pattern Sizing:
I cut the size 12 for the bodice and graded to a size 18 beginning at the underarm curve and ending at the dress hem.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Not really since it was alot looser due to the pattern changes I made.
(Side view)

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Oh, yeah! Absolutely!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the neckline sleeves.

Fabric Used:
A deep blue navy poly-lycra knit with a crepe like texture. I loved the drape of this fabric and it's SO comfortable to wear.
(Neckline up close. You can sorta see the deep blue color of the fabric and it's texture)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
1. As described above I cut a size 12 for the bodice and flared the dress to a size 18. I've been really obsessed with blouson dresses so I wanted a dress that had a little more fullness.
2. Shortened the sleeve and used 3/8" elastic in the sleeves.
3. Added 5" to the length

(Back view)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I think so! It's such a quickie project (I made it on Saturday to wear Sunda) and I love the results. I recommend it 100%.

Conclusion:
Cute dress! Just what I was looking for!

20 comments:

  1. That is a really cute dress - I love quick projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, comfy and extremely stylish. I love it!!! Nice alterations as well, I always love making a pattern my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dress! You can do just about anything you want with accessories, and boots will look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great on you! I am also working on making some dresses to pair with boots, tights and scarf but I'm such a slow worker and it's getting colder fast here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay....now this is cute! You are right the closeup really shows off the fabric....and that it really IS blue! I don't think I've noticed this pattern before. I love this style and I love how you've put your own stamp on it. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute dress. You are going to love repeating that pattern. I've never made the dress, but have made the top at least 1/2 dozen times... umm yeah... great pattern. However, I tweaked the sleeve by removing the fullness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute and stylish- love your pattern reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute dress, very wearable I think too. Like you said you can change it up going into fall :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a cute dress. Yes, it looks year round. So versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your dress. For some reason I have never liked the pattern envelope for this dress pattern. Made up like yours has made me take a second look at the potential of this dress. Thanks for reviewing. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really nice Victoria! You're so correct, this dress can be paired with so much to get so many different looks! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look wonderful in this dress! Definitely a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really, really, cute~ I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute LB(blue)D! I am liking the looser styles which are showing up-I just think they look sexier than skin tight. You look wonderful in this style I just finished a vintage blouson dress for a friend and am hoping to get some pictures at the final fitting on Friday. She is planning to wear boots with hers also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a comfortable and stylish looking dress. I really like the neckline on it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute and comfy dress. Looking good as always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello!

    This blog post was featured on Simplicity’s Facebook page. I will include the link to the pages so you can have a look. Please invite your followers to see your post on our page. I hope you continue doing wonderful work and include simplicity into your designs.
    http://goo.gl/QeiIF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails