Semi-fitted, straight, above mid-knee dresses A, B, C have front darts, back pleats, self-faced yoke front and neckbands, side seam pockets, outside casing with elastic, self ties and stitched hem. A: sleeveless with self ruffle. B: short, gathered sleeves with elastic casing. C: short sleeves with stitched hem and self tab with nonfunctioning button.
I cut a size 10 for the bodice and size 12 for the skirt. I wanted this to have some fit and didn't want to look like I was wearing a bag with a waist tie.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!
Were the instructions easy to follow?
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I loved the pattern design, the ruffled front and the elasticized sleeve. I didn't like that the pattern instructs you to hem the skirt before adding the front band. As a result, due to some error on my part, my hem on the front right and left sides aren't exactly equal. Since it was finished early I can't easily correct it. It's not really noticeable but I'm really annoyed by it.
(Such a crazy close-up but my Hubby/Camera Man was determined to get a better shot of the ruffle details. I'm beginning to think he's taking his job too seriously!!! LOL!!!)
Gray cotton sateen
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
1. I left off the pockets.
2. I didn't slipstitch the yoke but instead could flip it inside out and sew it.
3. I didn't slipstitch the facing (step 44) instead I serged 3/8" off the facing edge and stitched in the ditch on right side of facing to catch facing underneath.
4. I finished the sleeves by serging the edges and sewing them up. I didn't create a narrow hem for the elastic casing.
5. I forgot to mention that I made view B and added the ruffles from view A to it.
6. I lengthened the dress 3". I'm so glad I did this because it would've bee really short.
(The inspiration for this dress was indeed the shoes!!!)
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I really would like one in denim or a bright color!
Great dress! Simple to make and oh so stylish!!!