Somehow I mistakenly thought this was the last day of April so I was hustling to get a couple more blog posts in before the month ended. I can't believe how fast April went by. No worries, guess I'll just start the month off fresh with a post. As I mentioned in my last blog post, I had 1 1/2 yd of fabric and had to find some creative way to make a dress out of it that wasn't too short or revealing since I wanted to wear it to church. Well I decided to give New Look 6936 a shot and am happy I did. Nothing overwhelmingly fancy about the pattern but considering I was using a pretty bold print I needed a more subdued pattern so this fit the bill perfect. Here's my review.......
New Look 6936
Knit dress with bodice variations and elasticized waist. I made view B.
I cut a 10 on top and a 12 on the skirt.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very much so but always count on me to overcomplicate things a bit.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the gathered shoulders and ties, the high waist and elasticized waistline.
A black, red, white floral print matte jersey.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
1. Added 3" to the length and only made a 1/2" hem.
2. I did as other Pattern Reviewers recommended and made fabric ties instead of using ribbon for the shoulder seam. I cut 1.25" wide & 18" long strip, sewed them and turned them inside out. I made 4- 2 for each shoulder.
3. I created a elastic waistline casing using the waist seam allowance and did not sew the casing down through all layers as directed. Instead I simply pressed it down.
4. I added clear elastic to the neckline and coverstitched it down.
5. Also there's ALOT of ease in this pattern so because I didn't want 6" of ease in bodice I scaled down a size. Just keep that in mind when choosing your size.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I think I might. It's a cute and quick dress (pattern says 2 hours) if you don't make a bunch of blunders like I did. Let's see it took me a extra couple of hours to make and I accidentally cut 3" off of the back skirt and had to serge it back on (fortunately with the print you can't tell) and I didn't like having to make the shoulder ties (I was just being lazy and slow). I had too many distractions to be trying to sew. But I made this in an evening's time so that's not too bad.
Pretty and yet simple and easy dress to make. It's a great dress and in my case it was a nice way to highlight a cute knit print.