Monday, May 15, 2017

Sewing Details---Mom & Daughter Mother's Day Neoprene dresses

Mother's Day is always a special time of year. And you know as a tradition I like to make something to wear for my daughter and I to commemorate the occasion. This year I found a gorgeous floral neoprene with mesh overlay and just had a gut feeling that it would be a great fabric choice. My daughter agree which made things super easy! However up until about 3 days ago I was debating using a different fabric all together. I even bought another one. I just couldn't figure out what I wanted to make out of this bright fabric and to be honest I got a little intimidated. For me the perfect piece is the result of the perfect marriage of fabric and design. And with no concrete design ideas in mind I was about to throw in the towel. But at the last moment I had a design epiphany and fortunately was able to create 2 pieces for my daughter and I that I love very much. Shoot I ended up liking my dress so much I didn't want to take it off LOLLLL! That's the power of clothing---it has the ability to positively affect us in strong ways!!!




So here are the details about our dresses----
My dress-- A princess seam fitted bodice with shoulder detailing and flared skirt






-I used the bodice of Butterick 6066 view D and the circle skirt from McCalls 6754--I especially love the flare of the skirt. I wanted it to be full, dramatic and twirl-able LOL!
-I changed the pattern up a bit---I added a middriff. Mind you I didn't do my normal muslin to test the top and made it straight out. It ended up being a bit short in the front which was surprising. I added a 1" middriff and topstitched my faux leather and chain trim so you can't even tell up close that a middriff was added.
-I used black ponte roma for the sleeve contrast and to line the bodice.
-I added about 3" to the skirt length since I'm tall and hemmed using a narrow hem.

(netted floral neoprene fabric with added faux letter overlayed with chain trim for the middriff)


My Daughter's dress--An off the shoulder loose fitting dress with flounce and straps





-I used NewLook 6507---It's official! My kid can wear the adult size patterns now. Where did my baby go?????? I made her the extra small. Of course I had to rig it a bit. The pattern was far too wide for her chest so I ended up taking it in 2" on center front/back seams. I cut out and sewed up only to realize I'd taken out too much circumference she needed so I ended adding back in 2: panels on the side. It was an easy fix.
-I did one flounce instead of 2. Because of that I had to be creative of how I created the elastic channel---since the 2nd flounce was needed for that. But I figure it out.
-I added the same chain trim I used in my dress middriff and added to her shoulder straps.
-I also added darts in the back for contouring.

Despite some of the unexpected challenges I had in sewing these up they went together pretty fast. I literally made these in a little less than a day's time. It's my usual "pulling the rabbit out of the hat" trick LOL! Anyhow I'm delighted with the result and happy to have had a great day at church and quality time with the family. We went for an unconventional Mother's day lunch at Five Guys and the cashier was kind enough to pick up the tab in honor of Mother's Day. It was so sweet and especially so when she looked me in the eyes and said I deserved it! Made me a little misty eyed! After that there was ice cream and more hanging out! I thoroughly enjoyed my special day and I'm thankful to God for these 2 folks who are the reason I'm a mother! I hope you had a wonderful celebration as well!!! BTW, did you know I was on Instagram? Please check me out at VictoriaBaylor and am over at Dressedin10--- where I talk personal style and image consulting! Until next time Happy Sewing!!!



6 comments:

  1. I think the mommy and me dresses are beautiful, and you showcased the fabric in a wonderful way! Oh, and I WILL check you out on IG! I just joined last week, and am getting my bearings, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dresses! Your daughter is growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them both...and the details added to Mommy's dress are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dresses! Your husband and daughter look almost identical. She is growing up so fast.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails