Sunday, November 16, 2014

McCall's 6796----The Floral Sweater knit Turtleneck Dress

So this week has been crazy! Had a few victories and a couple of bumps in the road.  I'm learning not to stress about the bumps.They are as they say "par for the course". I survived the week and thought it would be nice to make myself something to wear. Some people pamper themselves with pedi's or a nice meal. I pamper myself with a self-sewn cute outfit. LOL! I call it "sewing therapy" LOL!  I didn't have much time so I needed something I could whip out quick. I've had this floral sweater knit in my stash for over a year and have been wanting to make it into a turtleneck dress for a good while now. So I whipped out a turtleneck top pattern and lengthened the top into a dress and voila'------- a dress was born and in less than a couple of hours.

 I'll be the first to admit that this fabric is an interesting one. It reminds me for some reason of a really bad couch print. LOL!!! It's so busy!!! In a way it's pretty and ugly at the same time. You know what I mean???? It's hard to explain. BUT I JUST LOVE IT!!!! After I made this dress I let me Hubby see it and he had the same reaction. It took him a moment to process it but he ended up loving it! I love fabric/fashions that provoke you to ponder them! Anyhow enough about that here's the review.....






Pattern used: McCalls 6796, view B

Time to Sew:
2 hours or less

Sewing Ease (scale 1 easy to 10 difficult):
Definitely a 2

Pattern Description:
Turtleneck top that I converted into a dress

Pattern Sizing:
A size 10 for the top and graded to a 14 for a hips. The knit was really stretchy so I took another 4" off total---1" between each seam.
 (Full View)

(Back View)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes but I made it into a dress

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yep

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
It was a great base pattern for a dress conversion

Fabric Used:
Floral sweater knit with hues of purple, gray, etc.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
*I lengthened the turtleneck into a dress---add 14"
*reduced back length 2"---my unusual short back adjustment
*added 1" to turtleneck height and and narrowed to fit better
*made sleeves 3/4"
*I stabilized the shoulder seam using clear elastic as usual

What would you do differently next time?:
Nothing. I loved it!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes and Yes!

Wardrobe Versatility:
Add a jacket, fur vest, etc.

Conclusion:
CUTE DRESS!!!! I'm in love with it!!!

8 comments:

  1. Hello Victoria, this print is lovely and the style of the dress suits your figure.
    Don't how you managed to sew this is two hours, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing bets a cozy sweater dress. I like the print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the print and the dress fit perfectly on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect mix of fabric and design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olá,
    Adorei seu blog e as postagens, agora sou seguidora do blog.
    Venha visitar meu blog www. crochelinhasagulhas.com.br
    Você será muito bem vinda.
    Janelice Bastiani

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I like the print…nice colors too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails