Thursday, December 27, 2012

You Say To-mato and I Say Tom-ato & McCall 5394

It's always pretty neat that there are multiple ways to say and do some things. Such is true in the sewing world.  Yesterday & today I spent some time watching some videos on fitting and sewing pants. I watched Palmer Pletsch's Jeans for Real People DVD and Peggy Sager's 2 pants fitting webcasts found HERE.  I've had the jeans DVD for a while but finally watched it and I've watched Peggy's webcasts before but like to watch things over and over to ensure I picked up on all of the good tips.

What's interesting is both groups had amazing fitting advice!!! They are both 2 of my favorite fit EXPERTS. But what's ironic is both groups had slightly different pants fit advice. Pati from Palmer/ Pletsch encouraged "scooping out the back crotch" if there is bagginess in the seat area whereas Peggy Sager advised against scooping anything and suggested doing a dart at the center back inseam, tapering to nothing at the side. Both achieved good results with their select methods. It was really interesting to see the differing opinions on the subject. It's such a lesson to me. Pants fitting isn't an exact science. It's good to try a few suggestions and even venture out and do some experimenting of your own.

Well speaking of pants fitting. I finished up 2 pairs of leggings on today and will just showcase them below. They were such an easy sew that they don't actually deserve a formal review. They are McCall 5394. I LOVE this pattern and it's my new TNT legging pattern. The only pattern change I made was to reduce 1" from the front rise and add 1" to the back rise (my rear end is high in the back which always call for a higher rise.) I have lots of sweater dresses that are too short to wear by themselves so these leggings are perfect for them. Here are a few pics. Sorry, I had to settle for the smartphone pics so they're not the best quality. But you'll get the idea.
(Here's up close of the legging fabrics. Both are some spandex blend. The one on the left is black with silver and has a bit of a sheen and strip pattern. On the right is a blue floral print spandex. I loved the print. It kinda had a graffiti feel to it.)

 (the black leggings with multi-color sweater and brown boots)

 (black leggings up close)

 (the blue floral print leggings with red sweater)

 (up close)

(side view)

These were two really fun leggings to sew up and it took less than an hour (not quite for me since I kept having interruptions from the "Wee-One"! I definitely plan to make a few more. I also enjoyed all of the pants fitting videos I got to watch and re-watch. I love learning various techniques because they not only help me but will help me in fitting my clients. Anywho, that's all for now. Be back soon with a few more finished projects!!!

14 comments:

  1. Leggings are always really useful.
    I've run out of steam for trying to fit pants...maybe after a little rest I'll give it a go again. I still enjoy reading about what you have learned, though.
    I hope you and your family had a lovely Christmas, and I wish you a happy and healthy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand Karin! There will be plenty time for that type of sewing in the New Year! We had a great Christmas! My well wishes to you and your family as well:)

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas Victoria! I love reading your blog, I always learn something new here :)
    Your leggings look great! They seem to be so comfy!

    When fitting my pants what works best for my is to lower the front rise about 2" and add that amount to the back rise. Then take in the side seams. (I have a small waist)
    When I was young my mom used too make my pants and pencil skirts or alter the ones she bought for me, and insisted on adding darts on the back. I can't tell you how huge my rear look! :(
    I think that each shape needs different treatments, that's why there is more than one fitting technique.

    Best wishes for the New Year! God bless you and you love ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohhhhh, look at you with your small waist! I'm jealous! LOL! It's great to know the formula of getting a good pants fit! I agree---the variations in body shapes calls for multiple approaches. Best New Year's wishes to you and your fam!!!!

      Delete
  3. Victoria, these leggings are life savers for me too, along with yoga pants!
    I need to say Thanks to you for introducing me to Peggy's webcasts. I've been watching her for several months now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Iryna! I love them too and am playing catch up watching some older one's. They're so helpful!

      Delete
  4. Victoria, I love to keep up with your progress and love your creations. Of the two methods of pants fitting, which one do you think works the best? I've had issues with pants fitting, and have been thinking of purchasing the Palmer/Pletsch Dvd. I do watch Peggy Sagers' webcasts but haven't seen the ones on pants fitting yet. Just wondered which one worked best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello (wish I knew your name)! To recommend one over the other would be a tough one. I think they're both equally good in their own way. Hmmmmm, I'd recommend checking out Peggy's webcast first since it's free. See if you're comfortable with her methods and try them out. If not, then try Palmer/Pletsch. I personally own most of the material by both groups since they both have ALOT of great info. I think everyone should own most of Palmer/Pletsch books (Fit for Real People/ Pants for Real People)---they're just great resources!!! The more info you have may give you a broader perspective on how to fit pants. Trust me I've wrestled with fitting pants for years but after years of studying it now makes complete sense. Also, make sure you work with a GOOD pants pattern (check out reviews on sewing pattern review.com.) There's nothing worse then trying to alter a badly drafted pants pattern. Hope this helps:)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your advice. So true about the pants pattern, and the reviews on pattern review.com have helped me make decisions on what NOT to sew many times or at least what to look out for. I don't have a blog, I barely have time to sew, but I do enjoy keeping up with yours and the others who do. Please don't stop.
      Thank you again for your quick response.
      Martha

      Delete
  5. I love sewing dvds by different seamstresses, it shows that there is more than one way to do things and get good results. I spent last weekend making leggings, mccalls 6173. Making leggings is such an instant gratification, I am up to number 7 and 2 of them went to my sister and 2 will go to my daughter.

    Have a blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl you were a factory!!!! You're right about the leggings. I ran out of spandex over here. I want ALOT more and plan to definitely pick up more fabric. It's worth it!!! Have a great New Year yourself!!!

      Delete
  6. Great job on the leggings Victoria! I love both pair and now looks like you have tackled your pants fitting issue too! I love wearing leggings but have only made two pair...most of mine were RTW. That's sad because I probably paid more than I should have for them! Yours have inspired me NOT to purchase anymore...when I need them, just make them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need some leggings in my life. Love those. Great fabric choices too! Lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your pants are nice. may try that pattern thanks. also thanks for the sagers link. appreciate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails